WELCOME TO THE WEBSITE FOR THE BARFORD YOUTH & COMMUNITY CENTRE
FORMERLY THE BARFORD SCOUTS AND GUIDES SUPPORTER’S GROUP WEBSITE
Last updated September 2020
In June 2019 we changed the name of the Group to reflect the changing use of the building. 30 years ago (when we built the Scout Hut) the use was mainly for the youth groups with the occasional Jumble Sale or Bingo Night, usually in aid of the Groups. Now the Hut is used not just by youth groups but also by a growing number of local community groups and the new name better reflects the breadth of people using the Hut. Our project to replace the existing Hut with a new, purpose-built Youth & Community Centre will mean we can offer a venue that properly meets the needs of the many users and support greater use by diverse groups in the future.
WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW
- We are applying to major grant giving organisations to help us fund the new building
- We have gathered information to create a Business Plan, which contains all the information needed to complete the application forms and convince the Grant providers that this project is needed for the village and will be extensively used
- We have consulted with the local community to understand the needs of the groups wishing to use the new Youth & Community Centre and continue to communicate through meetings and Village Voices
- We have a Project Manager / Fundraiser to ensure the project is managed professionally and the Grant Applications are successful
- We have secured a long term lease for the site
- We have finalised the design for the Youth & Community Centre
- We have submitted the planning application
- We continue to benefit from strong local support and local fundraising activites
The present building opened in 1990 and has done sterling service for 29 years but has reached the end of its useful life The roof leaks, there are no facilities for the disabled or elderly. There are now many more users and the Hut is no longer big enough or suitable for many of the groups that use it.
NEW YOUTH & COMMUNITY CENTRE
The Hut is going to be replaced with a new, purpose-designed building in the near future. As this new building will be more than just a Scout Hut, it will be known as the
The Barford Youth and Community Centre
Consultations have taken place to establish the wider needs of the Village.
We have used a professional architect to design the new building to meet better the needs of existing and future users, with a building that will be energy-efficient, low maintenance and of distinctive design in keeping with the site and locality.
This has enabled us to understand the expected cost of the project and start the process of applying for grants to help us raise the money needed for construction and completion of the new building, while continuing local fundraising sustains the project.
We have already replaced the old garages with a purpose built storage facility and this will also store some of the equipment from the Hut when we have to demolish it to create the new building.
If you want to get involved click on this link to join the Supporters Group